Currently, Kepulauan Seribu (Thousand Island) natural tourism has attracted abundantly visitors. The nature is beautiful, unspoiled and less contaminated by garbage and pollution. It is suitable for people in Jakarta who struggle with every day polluted air. In addition to its beautiful nature, this place cost is quite cheap and attracts many local and foreign tourists.
There are several tourism sites that can be visited in Kepulauan Seribu (Thousand Island). You could visit the Putri Island, Bidadari Island, Pramuka Island, Ayer Island, Kotok Island, Sepa Island, Pelangi Island, Onrust Island, Pantara islands, Macan islands, Kul-kul Island, Untung Jawa Island and Tidung Island.
These islands have their own beauty scenery and it is worth to visit them one by one. Some time ago, I had chance to spend holidays in Tidung Island. Therefore, I would like to share the experience. This tourist destination in the Kepulauan Seribu region is quite famous. Hopefully it can be reference for your vacation destination.
Kepulauan Seribu consists of 110 small islands located in bay of North Jakarta which stretches 45 miles up to the Java Sea. Currently it has been reported that 36 islands in Kepulauan Seribu area has been used as a place of natural tourism. Tidung Island is included in one of them.
Kepulauan Seribu can be reached from the city of Jakarta by speedboat in less than 75 minutes. You do not need to worry to visit there because there are a lot of access and transport available.
Visiting Tidung Island, you can depart from Muara Angke. You could find plenty motor boats to carry visitors from 6 am to 2 pm to the island. The cost is cheap. By paying $2.5 you can get there. Trip to the Tidung Island from Muara Angke take about 2 hours. Another access is departure from Kali Adem with KM.
Kerapu and costs around $3.75. For more convenient but quite expensive travel, you can use the Predator boats which are available in Ancol Pier 6 with travel time only an hour away. The ticket cost around $19 and does not include admission to Ancol. Traveling to Tidung Island, you need to supply yourself with beverages, snacks and hangover medicine. It is very useful for you who are susceptible to seasickness.
Tidung Island is about 50 hectares and is the largest island in Kepulauan Seribu with a population of about 4000 inhabitants. Tidung Island is divided into two regions: the Large Tidung Island and Small Tidung Island. They are connected with a bridge called Jembatan Cinta (the bridge of Love). On this island there are many tourist sites to enjoy such as natural underwater scenery and beautiful white sand beaches.
There are a lot of activities to do in the island by having water sports or snorkelling, diving and such. The cost is quite cheap. For example, you could have water sports by renting banana boat, canoe, sofa boat, donut boat and Jet Ski by paying $2.5 to $19.
For details, price for banana boat is $2.5 per person, sofa boat is $3 per person, donut boat is $3 per person, double canoe is $4 per half hour, and Jet Ski is $19 per fifteen minutes. The above prices are subject to change at any time. It is quite cheap compared to prices in other tourist spots in Indonesia.
In addition to water sports, snorkelling is also fun to do. Price for renting snorkelling equipment which consists of a goggle, fins, snorkel and float is about $2.5 / person / day. But do not forget to rent a boat for snorkelling which cost you $22.5 / day and the captain will happily escort you to 2 or 3 snorkelling site. The ship is fit for 8-10 people.
Prices for diving equipment are vary and a slightly more expensive at around $22.5 to $30. However, if you just want to take a look around the beautiful Tidung Island, you can rent a bike for $1.2 per day.
Spending the night on the island is quite cheap. A simple room is cost $22.5 – $30 / night and it fit 6 – 8 persons. It is more efficient if you are leaving with your family or friends. It is best to stay on the island for 2 days only because the size of the island is not too big which enough to enjoy whole area.
I would like to share some tips to have holidays on Tidung Island to be secure and comfortable. They are:
- To save costs, you could use services of travel agent offering cheap tour packages. Travel agent helps you in finding accommodation easier. But you must be careful to look for a travel agent because they usually only offer cheap packages with limited number of people.
- If you do not use the services of a travel agent, always check the schedule of boat departure. Or you miss the boat.
- The most important thing is do not forget to bring a camera complete with backup batteries. The camera is very useful to capture the moment of your vacation on the beautiful and exotic island. Make sure you have a camera that can be used in the water as well because the underwater scenery on the island is very stunning.
- Bring enough cash because there are no ATM machines there.
- In addition to snacks and drinks, do not forget to take your medication, especially anti-seasickness medication and insect repellent. At night there are quite a lot of mosquitoes.
- Use sunblock regularly and wear comfortable cotton clothes. During the day it is very hot there.
- Come to the island on Thursday to Saturday because on Saturday to Sunday there are a lot of visitors who come causing a sense of less convenient to not able to enjoy the natural beauty of the Tidung Island.
- The cost of eating at this island is about the same as in Jakarta so do not worry for the food price. (Culinary Thousand Islands)
Those are some tips I can share that may be useful. Have fun and exciting holiday on the Tidung Island and do not forget to visit the other islands in Kepulauan Seribu which also offer you many stunning experiences.